Martial law was declared in Tampa in January 1862, and Tampa's city government ceased to operate for the duration of the war.In 1861, the Union Navy set up a blockade around many southern ports to cut off the Confederacy.It was home to 185 civilians, or 974 total residents including military personnel, in 1850.During the Civil War, Florida seceded along with most of the southern states to form the Confederate States of America, and Fort Brooke was manned by Confederate troops.The bay's port is the largest in the state, near downtown's Channel District. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area. The four-county area is composed of roughly 3.1 million residents, The Tampa Bay Partnership and U. Census data showed an average annual growth of 2.47 percent, or a gain of approximately 97,000 residents per year.Bayshore Boulevard runs along the bay, and is east of the historic Hyde Park neighborhood. Between 20, the Greater Tampa Bay Market experienced a combined growth rate of 14.8 percent, growing from 3.4 million to 3.9 million and hitting the 4 million population mark on April 1, 2007.Before the American period, the Tampa Bay area had a handful of residents: Cuban and Native American fishermen who established small seasonal camps called "ranchos" on the shores of Tampa Bay.The largest was at the mouth of Spanishtown Creek in today's Hyde Park neighborhood along Bayshore Boulevard. The sparse civilian population practically abandoned the area during the Second Seminole War from 1835 to 1842, after which the Seminoles were forced out and many settlers returned. On January 18, 1849, Tampa was officially incorporated as the "Village of Tampa".
The earliest instance of the name "Tampa", in the form "Tanpa", appears in the memoirs of Hernando de Escalante Fontaneda, who spent 17 years as a captive of the Calusa and traveled through much of peninsular Florida.
As late as 1774, Bernard Romans called Tampa Bay "Bay of Espiritu Santo", with "Tampa Bay" restricted to the Northwest arm (what is now Old Tampa Bay), and the northeast arm named "Hillsborough Bay".
The name may have come from the Calusa language, or possibly, the Timucua language.
The entrances to Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are obscured by barrier islands, and their locations, and the names applied to them, were a source of confusion to explorers, surveyors and map-makers from the 16th century though the 18th century.
Bahía Tampa and Bahía de Espíritu Santo were each used, at one time or another, for the modern Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor. Tampa", corresponding to Tampa Bay, appeared on a British map of 1705, with "Carlos Bay" for Charlotte Harbor to the south, while a 1748 British map had "B.Early Spanish explorers to visit the area interacted extensively (and violently) with the Tocobaga, whose principal town was at the northern end of Old Tampa Bay near today's Safety Harbor in Pinellas County.